Mission of RIKEN BRC
RIKEN BioResource Research Center (RIKEN BRC), as one of the frontiers of research infrastructure centers, contributes to advancement of life science and human welfare in the 21st century
Mission and overview of RIKEN BRC
It is now well recognized that bioresources are indispensable in life science research. As one of core infrastructure centers in the world for research and development of science, technology and innovation, RIKEN BRC strategically and systemically receives deposit/donation, manages, upgrades and distributes bioresources and the associated information. RIKEN BRC conducts the following three Programs:
- Bioresource Infrastructure Program focusing on five important bioresources of the world’s highest level and their associated information.
- Key Technology Development Program in order to effectively, efficiently and sustainably conduct the Bioresource Infrastructure Program.
- Bioresource Frontier Program in order to respond appropriately and timely to social and research trends and needs.
In addition, training courses for technology transfer and dissemination of technologies to the research community as well as public relations activities are actively conducted.
Read more: For General Public > What is bioresource?
1Bioresource Infrastructure Program
RIKEN BRC receives, preserves and distributes cutting edge bioresources and information by comprehending accurately social and research trends and needs. RIKEN BRC is focusing on the following five bioresources and associated information:
- Experimental Animal Division: mouse strains
- Experimental Plant Division: experimental plants such as Arabidopsis and Brachypodium
- Cell Engineering Division: cultured cell lines of human and animal origin including iPS cells
- Gene Engineering Division: DNA materials of human, animal and microbial origin
- Microbe Division: microbial strains including microbial strains of bacteria, archaea, fungi classified in Risk Group 1 or 2.
- Integrated Bioresource Information Division: Information associated with the five bioresources
Our bioresources are provided together with the most updated and advanced information for the best use of bioresources. Furthermore, RIKEN BRC performs rigorous quality examination based on the ISO9001:2015 international quality management standards, and provides the world’s highest quality level bioresources that ensure the reproducibility of research results.
Quality Management: RIKEN BRC has acquired and maintained ISO9001
RIKEN BRC has acquired and maintained ISO9001:2015 certification for quality management of bioresources to serve better to the research community by continuously improving the quality of operations of collection, preservation and distribution of bioresources. Cell Engineering Division and Microbe Division have acquired and maintained ISO 9001;2015 certification, and JIS Q 9001, the Japanese standard. (Certificate)
Read more: Divisions & Teams > Bioresource Infrastructure Program
2Key Technology Development Program
We execute research and development strategies to create the key technologies necessary for bioresource infrastructure. Specifically, we are developing techniques for cryopreservation, nuclear transfer, ICSI, and generation of mouse models and high-quality stem cell lines in mice. In addition, we participate in the International Mouse Phenotyping Consortium and organize information related to gene function by analyzing mouse phenotypes. We also provide training courses that encourage the widespread use of these techniques.
- Bioresource Engineering Division
- Mouse Phenotype Analysis Division
Read more: Divisions & Teams > Key Technology Development Program
3Bioresource Frontier Program
Based on the strength of our five world-class bioresources, we conduct research and development projects that promote breakthroughs in the life sciences, through internal and external collaborations with academia and companies. Our projects will lead to the solution of academic, medical, and social issues.
- iPSC-based Drug Discovery and Development Team
- iPS Cell Advanced Characterization and Development Team
- Next Generation Human Disease Model Team
- Plant-Microbe Symbiosis Research and Development Team
Read more: Divisions & Teams > Bioresource Frontier Program
Through the implementation of the above programs, RIKEN BRC as a research infrastructure is committed to contribute to the advancement of life sciences.